Is it essential to test your CTAs?
- The most common areas tested by companies are websites (74%), emails (59%), and landing pages (57%) [MarketingCharts]
- Personalized CTAs convert more visitors than untargeted CTAs by 42% [DSim]
- Single call-to-action increased clicks by 371% and sales 1617% in email [Protocol80]
The bottom line is that testing your CTAs can make a massive difference to your company’s bottom line. If you are interested in getting more potential customers and leads, it’s essential to be able to maximize every opportunity.
Why It’s Important to Test Your CTAs with A/B Tests
CTAs Lead to Results that You Want to Happen
Customers go through a process whenever they want to make a purchase. A CTA, a call to action, guides people to the next step. You have different opportunities to bring people to the following action. By testing your copy, colors, location, and pictures, you can significantly increase the number of people that move to the next stage.
- It takes five follow-ups to close 80 percent of sales conversions. [MarketingDonut]
- Potential customers go through a process to ultimately make a purchase of some kind.
It takes time for people to get to the point of a sales conversion. Whenever you can increase your conversion rate, it will ultimately benefit your company. It will improve your own brand and help people move to the next stage.
MailMunch for A/B Testing Landing Pages, Emails, and Forms
MailMunch is an inexpensive but powerful solution for lead generation. They have integrations already with Shopify, Wix, WordPress, Weebly, and other websites.
Integrate Your Marketing with MailMunch:
- Landing Pages – Create Landing Pages without having to have another software
- Email Marketing – Automate Your Emails and Split Test Everything
- Forms and Popups – Have Forms and Popups integrated with your Existing Website.
MailMunch is a great solution to get going with your business. If you have plans on getting contact information and following up with potential leads, it’s a great inexpensive solution. They will let you test your landing pages, emails, and forms to get the best result.
Setting Up An A/B Test – Your CTAs on Landing Pages
Your Landing Page Can Convert Better
Landing pages help businesses build email lists. The average landing page conversion percentage is 26%. When you test your landing page, you can naturally increase your conversion rates to have a better percentage.
- 46% of landing pages contain more than one offer, but including more than one offer can decrease conversion rates by 266%. [KlientBoost]
- Landing pages convert 26% on average [StartupBonsai]
Whenever you are looking at conversion rates, you will need to consider industry averages and your source of traffic. If you are able to get warmer traffic, you should be able to get higher conversion rates. Consider giving freebies and a reason for people to subscribe whenever possible.
In addition, videos are proven to increase landing page conversions when coupled with these strategies. In fact:
- 71% of B2B marketers use video as a part of their marketing strategy [InVideo]
- 30% of top landing pages leverage video content [Hubspot]
- Using videos in landing pages can increase conversions by up to 86% [TechJury]
Case Study: Humana – Cleaning Up the Design
A lot of companies continuously aim to improve their design and conversions. Humana did A/B testing. They found that a simple design led to better conversions.
- After changing the CTA text, the company experienced a 192% boost.
- Simplifying a design and emphasizing the CTA button can increase your conversions.
The overall simpler design for this group led to more conversions for this company. They changed the button color and brought a lot more attention to clicking on the button. Make sure to test your own designs to get the best results.
Using MailMunch to Design Your Landing Page
What Changes Can be Made to Benefit your Landing Page:
- Color – color emphasizes a certain feeling and attention to that part of the landing page
- Copy – check what words you can change in the title, description, and buttons; consider looking at the length of the landing page as well
- Images – change the image and see if it improves conversions
If you can track your overall impressions and conversions, you can understand which is the most optimal landing page. Simply divide your conversions and impressions. In order to get the percentage, multiply the decimal by 100 to get the percentage. You can quickly compare your tests this way to figure out what is better.
Setting Up Your A/B Test – Your CTAs on Email Marketing
Why Your A/B Tests are Important for Email Marketing
Email marketing is increasingly important for businesses. It’s a good way to get more leads and retain customers. Statistically, it’s been shown that plain texts convert better than emails with pictures. You can make your own tests to see open rates and actual conversions.
- A/B testing your email campaigns can improve conversion rates by as much as 49% [Leveragestl]
- For every $1 you spend on emails marketing, you can expect an average return of $41 [Sender]
- Single Call-to-Action Increase Clicks 371% and Sales 1617% on Email [WordStream]
By testing your email campaigns, you can enhance your sales over time. Look at how many people are opening your emails and clicking on your CTA. You will be able to determine which emails perform best when you are tracking your open rates, click-through rates, and ultimate conversions.
Use MailMunch to Test Your Emails
MailMunch has advanced analytics to help you understand how potential customers are interacting with your emails. Getting this information will help you decide what you may need to change to increase your results.
You’ll want to consider these data points when looking at your email analytics:
- Get Better Open Rates: Find out how many emails are being sent and opened
- Improve Click Rates: You’ll want to know how many people are clicking on your CTA button.
- Improve Conversions: Whenever people click on your call to action, you’ll also need information about how many people actually purchase.
Whenever possible, test different subject titles, copy, and call to action. By looking at your data, you will be able to see potential areas of improvement. You can easily test new emails on MailMunch’s platform for optimal results.
Monitor and Adjusting To The Data By A/B Testing Everything
What Can You Adjust to Improve Your CTA Rates?
Always have tests when you are automating your results. Your software should automatically have some people going to different options. You’ll be able to see your percentages and make changes according to the data. Keep an eye on your numbers and make changes as needed.
The Different Aspects of Your Call to Action:
- Color and Pictures – Consider changing your colors or including different images to increase your CTAs.
- Check Titles – See if changing your title makes a difference. You can
- Power Words – There are certain power words that can increase your results. They are usually adjectives that describe something (example: secret, banned, luxurious, easy, downloadable, etc.).
You’ll need to test different aspects of your CTA in order to get the biggest results. By comparing results, you can increasingly optimize your conversions.
Can Color Really Affect Your CTA Rates?
Yes. Color can really affect your conversions. Branding yourself with different colors can affect how people think about your brand. It will also be important to test different colors on your landing pages and get potential customers from your emails.
Changing different aspects of your CTA can have a major impact on your call to action. If you are interested in improving your conversions, you will want to see how other companies are leveraging color to invoke different responses. You’ll want to consider which demographic you are targeting and what changes may make the best result.
According to OptinMonster, red buttons performed better than green buttons. This test might have had to do with the fact that Performable had a green logo. It created a better contrast to use red color. It’s important to test different aspects of your landing page and emails to get optimal results.
Adjust Different Aspects of Your CTA Button and Surrounding Content
In this split test, changing the words to include “Secret” and “Never” really helped the headline increase the opt-in rates. In this case, they didn’t change the image or the color. There can be further tests to make this landing page convert better.
Steps on Testing A/B on CTA:
- Create Two Identical Landing Pages
- Change Only One Aspect of Your Landing Page
- Test How Many People Click on Your Button
- Keep the Better Converting Page and Discard the Other Landing Page
- Test Another Aspect About Your Landing Page
Finding one thing to test can help you understand what is better for your landing page. Go through a simple process of making your landing pages better over time.
MailMunch for All Your A/B Testing for a Competitive Price
MailMunch is a powerful tool for marketers and all businesses. It works most effectively when you are putting everything on one platform. You’ll be able to do all your testing to get the best conversions.
MailMunch’s Different Benefits Available to Their Users:
- Powerful Integrations
- Unified Builder
- A/B Testing
- Thousands of Free Images
- Advanced Display Rules
- Unlimited Autoresponders
- Drip Campaigns
- Drag-N-Drop Builder
- Custom Fonts
- File Attachments
MailMunch has a powerful platform to integrate with all the different aspects of your business. They have compiled a source of free images that you can use. You can look at doing A/B testing for all aspects of your business.
A/B Testing your CTAs can make a huge difference in your business. Look at different testing aspects of your landing pages. You can check your buttons and emails to increase conversions. Consider using a tool like MailMunch for all your A/B testing needs on all your different platforms.
About the author
Wesley Cherisien is a speaker, trainer, entrepreneur and tech investor who has penned hundreds of articles, books and training guides for organizations in the Fortune 500, consultants and authors spanning across multiple industries. Chief Editor of WesleyCherisien.com, Wesley is a creative and highly innovative thinker with 10+ years of experience writing for online publications.